When I first started in marketing, I used to write down what I thought were the best marketing quotes to inspire me to dream big and to do big things.
A few years ago I gathered all these bits of paper and sticky notes and wrote down on one piece of paper my favorite marketing quotes and words of wisdom and inspiration.
When I speak, I also tried to invent some of my own tweetable quotes. Here are a few that generate a little tweet love:
- “Behind every piece of bad content is an executive who asked for it.”
- “If great content is the hero, then banners are the villain.”
- “Content marketing is the gap between what brands produce and what consumers actually want.”
- “Marketing with content is not the same thing as content marketing“
- “Content marketing is financial asset with real value that grows over time“
- “Mean People Suck” (I can’t really take credit for that but I own the domain so there you go!)
But I can’t compare with some of these great minds and their amazing quotes.
🤫 PS – I put together these 10 tips for optimizing your content marketing. Watch Now!
Here is my collection of the greatest marketing quotes to inspire your strategy:
- “Banners have 99 problem and a click ain’t one.”
- “Content Marketing is a commitment, not a campaign.” ~ Jon Buscall
- “Content marketing is the only marketing left.” ~ Seth Godin
- “Stop interrupting what people are interested in and be what people are interested in.” ~ Craig Davis
- “Make your customer the hero of your stories.” ~ Ann Handley
- “Your brand is so much more than what you sell.” ~ Jon Iwata
- “Marketing is too important to be left to the marketing department.”~ David Packard
- “The buyer journey is nothing more than a series of questions that must be answered.” ~ IDC
- “People don’t buy what you do, they buy why you do it.” – Simon Sinek
- “Market like the year you are in!” ~ Gary Vaynerchuck
- “Don’t find customers for your products, find products for your customers.” ~ Seth Godin
- “Content is king, but distribution is queen and she wears the pants.” ~ Jonathan Perelman, Buzzfeed
- “Content is the atomic particle of all digital marketing, says @Lieblink”~ Rebecca Lieb
- “Make your marketing so useful, people will pay you for it.” ~ Jay Baer
- “Content builds relationships. Relationships are built on trust. Trust drives revenue.” Andrew Davis
- “Help your customers and you help your business.” ~ Leo Burnett
- “Business has only two functions – marketing and innovation.” ~ Milan Kundera (Knowledge drop: Most people attribute the above quote to Peter Drucker who clearly borrowed from the author of The Unbearable Lightness of Being when he said: “Because it is its purpose to create a customer, any business enterprise has two – and only these two – basic functions: marketing and innovation.” But Milan said it first. So here’s another good one from Peter…)
- “The aim of marketing is to know and understand the customer so well the product or service fits him and sells itself.” ~ Peter F. Drucker
- “The sole purpose of marketing is to sell more to more people, more often and at higher prices. There is no other reason to do it.” ~ Sergio Zyman
- “What really decides consumers to buy or not to buy is the content of your advertising, not its form.” ~ David Ogilvy
- “The consumer is not a moron, she’s your wife.” ~ David Ogilvy (not sure this one stands the test of time. Blame Kessler in the comments. He made me add it!)
- “The aim of marketing is to make selling superfluous.” ~ Peter Drucker
- “If you have more money than brains you should focus on outbound marketing. If you have more brains than money, you should focus on inbound marketing.” ~ Guy Kawasaki
- “Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
- “Deadlines are the greatest source of inspiration” ~ Mark Twain
- “Markets are conversations.” ~ The Cluetrain Manifesto
- “Marketing takes a day to learn and a lifetime to master.” ~ Phil Kolter
- “Advertising in the final analysis should be news. If it is not news it is worthless.” ~ Adolph Ochs
- “Marketing is no longer about the stuff that you make, but about the stories you tell.” – Seth Godin
- “There is nothing more valuable than a spotless reputation.” ~ William Shakespeare
- “Companies that speak in the language of the pitch are no longer speaking to anyone.” ~ The Cluetrain Manifesto
- “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
- “Marketing is not anyone’s job… It’s everyone’s job!” ~ Jack Welch (Thanks to my new twitter friend Leigh Cowan)
😜 PS – Check out our weekly blog content service to grow your website traffic and leads!
What’s your favorite marketing or business quote? Did I miss any great ones?
Let me help you tell your story! I can help your team create authentic and consistent thought leadership content. I’ve done it for myself. I’ve done it for the companies I’ve worked for. I’ve helped activate hundreds, even thousands of thought leaders. I’ve done it for numerous clients. And I can do it for you.